Hello, D90

Last week, aside from throwing a surprise bridal party for a friend, I also had my first camera, a Nikon D60 fixed at Nikon Service Center in Cebu. It's located at BTC - Banilad Town Center. I heard there are only two Nikon Service Centers in the countr, one in Megamall in Manila and the second one in Cebu.

As expected, my camera's gear motor has to be replaced. It requires about 3-5 weeks before i could get it back. Though it only takes a week to repair, the parts to replace the old one have to be ordered abroad and will arrive in 3-4 weeks.

One thing worth noting is if your camera was purchased under Columbia Tristar. According to the tech guy, if you purchased your camera from them, you get a huge discount for repairs and other services (maybe around 40%-50%). I got mine from Henry's at Hidalgo about two and a half years ago. Not sure if they are under Columbia dealers, so i have a feeling i'm not getting the discount.

By the way, I found out that my camera reached a little over 44,000 shutter fires before it stopped working. That's for usage since September 2009.

I also have long decided to upgrade my gear since I'm starting to accept wedding photography this year. I'm starting with just small intimate weddings, nothing grand. I need more people and equipment to do that and that's too much pressure for me right now. Getting a new camera would allow me to have a backup camera in shooting events.

So here it is, a Nikon D90. I have researched beforehand about what this camera can do and I also know it's no longer a new model. They have actually phased-out this one but there are some still sold so I got it as I feel that it's functions and features would be practical to me. It was a choice between the D90 and the new D5100. I was hesitant about the latter because it doesn't have an AF motor in the body, so I still can't use AF lenses.

Along with the D90, i picked up an AF 50mm, very cheap lens but very happy it autofocuses on the D90.

I am also starting to explore doing videos (glad D90 also has HD video). Now working on a surprise video presentation for Roselle and Nabi's wedding on the last day of March. I hope they like it.

I hope this is the start of a wonderful and lasting photographic journey for you and me. I hope you make more beautiful memories, better-composed images and last longer than my D60 (which i already miss).

4 comments

  1. :O I always LOVE it when people upgrade their gear. My upgrade too far out in the future still, but have fun with your new toys! expecting more great things from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaay for D90! So excited for your upcoming photos! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photos, Kat! What are you using in the meantime?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @katheezy, i'm using a D90.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment: