Learning a new craft: Modern Calligraphy

I remember in high school, my classmates always told me good things about my penmanship. It was very legible and very consistent and straight. And then I entered college and suddenly, my so-called nice penmanship started to look ugly. Well, not unreadable ugly but not as nice as how it previously looked. Maybe it was the laziness, or the lack of things to write (more of typing than writing) that made me forget how to write in beautiful cursive.

About two months ago, I joined a super short workshop on modern calligraphy. Thanks to a friend who suggested such when I told her I was running out of things to do in my free time. So I gave it a shot. It turned out to be the best thing I did to start my year. It's always a good idea to stock up on your skills. It was really a bit too short but I guess it was just for the purpose of introducing the craft and we can carry on ourselves later however we want.

I'm still in the process of polishing my strokes, but I do have a style that I want to establish. I suddenly recall having nice penmanship when I was younger. If I had learned calligraphy back then, my output would have been super beautiful! Right now, my strokes are very shaky and with a lot of rough curves. But practice sessions are always so much fun, and so addictive! I have also enjoyed buying the art materials to use. Being in an art supply store always feels so exciting to me.

Recently, I came up with a few cards to try combining strokes with watercolor, also to give out to my special friends before I leave Singapore. It is looking very promising and nice for the first try.

Learning a new craft is great. It makes you feel like your brain is so full of ideas you cannot wait to start right away! That may be what people mean when they say you are "bursting with excitement."

No comments

Leave a comment: