DIY Pillow Box

While I was recently browsing through upcycling ideas for items to sell in a thrift shop, I chanced upon this idea on Pinterest that really had me excited.

If you have heaps of toilet paper rolls lying around, transform them from sad pieces of trash into really useful pillow boxes that you can use as containers for various gifts or party favours.


You'll need a few things:

  1. Toilet paper rolls
  2. Poster paint or ink or pen (or anything that works with paper)
  3. Paint brush
  4. Cutter/blade (optional)
  5. Ribbon or twine

Step 1 : Take a toilet paper roll and flatten it like shown below:


Step 2 : Draw a half-circle on each end to mark the crease. For some, this is an optional step. But I like to be able to easily make the fold and to get a clean and consistent one, so I'm using a cutter. Run the blade lightly through the guides drawn. Don't press the blade too hard, otherwise it will cut the flap.


Step 3 : At this point, the whole look is up to you. Take a paint brush and poster paint or watercolor or any pen and draw simple patterns all over the box. Let it dry.





Step 4 : Take a matching bow or ribbon or twine. You can tie it across horizontally or vertically.


Done!



I've been thinking of a few other ideas that can make use of existing paper scraps I have lying on my desk. I don't make a lot at first try. The next gift-giving occasion is just around the corner which is Valentines Day. It's quite easy to make simple patterns out of hearts and quotes.






Audree Cake Topper


No comments

Leave a comment: