DIY: Customized iPhone Case

I'm in the mood for a tutorial, so today, I'm going to show you how I created some really nice and custom iPhone Case designs.

The secret behind this is simply the transparent or clear case for iPhone. I purchased a couple from Etsy. After a month of waiting, I finally got them and am now looking for ideas of what designs to use.

Here are the materials I used:

DIY iPhone 4s Case
1. Ruler, 2. Cutter, 3. Pencil, 4. Clear or Transparent iPhone Case, 5. Pattern or Design, 6. Hole Punch (optional and not shown in photo above)

Create a template

A template is not necessary but it's important if you wish to make more designs later on. The template is just a plain sheet of stiff paper which takes the form of the iPhone.

Here's an illustration of the measurements I used and how the template would be used on a desired pattern.

I used brown card stock for the template. Here it is once cut.

DIY iPhone 4s Case
To put a whole where the camera is located, you can cut it out using a cutter or xacto knife or a single hole punch. I used the latter.

Trace the template on a pattern or any design and cut it out.

DIY iPhone 4s Case
I used a card stock with floral pattern.
DIY iPhone 4s Case
Here's how it looks before camera hole was punched.

Make a hole to see through the camera.

DIY iPhone 4s Case
This is the hole punch I used. You may also cut the hole manually using the cutter or xacto knife.
DIY iPhone 4s Case
This is the finished design! That was quick and easy right?!
DIY iPhone 4s Case
Place the cut out design inside the clear case. It's time to see our design on the iPhone!

Done!

DIY iPhone 4s Case
Tadaah! Looks pretty good, right?
Now, maybe now you'd like to make another one! There are a lot of stuff you can recycle and use as design. It's a cheap way of getting a new look, no need to buy new iPhone cases, plus you get to recycle which is always a good thing. You can't use anything too thick, though. Otherwise, your iPhone won't fit in the case anymore.

Here's the next one I made. I used an ad page from an old issue of InStyle magazine.

DIY iPhone 4s Case
You can position the case in various angles before you trace the template on the page. This way, you can preview how it will look like inside the case.
DIY iPhone 4s Case
Yay! I think I like it!
Now, I think I'd like to use some polka dots!

DIY iPhone 4s Case
Trace the template on a blue polka-dotted gift wrapper.
DIY iPhone 4s Case
Looks good, too!
DIY iPhone 4s Case
You can also use thin fabric! Above is an example. Using fabric is a bit tricky though 'cause fabric is made out of woven thread so depending on the fabric, some can look a little messy on the edges.
DIY iPhone 4s Case
I was hesitant to cut this beautiful editorial photo but I love the roses so much! I had to have it on the phone!
DIY iPhone 4s Case
No regrets! Looks good. Using this now.

More possible ideas or sources for designs:
  1. Newspaper (vintage ones look better!)
  2. Doilies or lace
  3. Transparent film and stickers
  4. Washi tape on plain/patterned colored paper
  5. Maps
  6. Galaxy photos from magazines or catalogues
  7. A collage of your Instagram photos
  8. Cover of old books (paperbacks)
  9. Old passport pages with travel stamp marks
  10. Stamps from snail mails!
There! If you have more ideas to add, feel free to comment!

I hope you got inspired and motivated. You can look for clear cases sold online like Ebay and Etsy, or maybe there are some sold at local shops in your city.

Thanks for reading through and I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!

4 comments

  1. Ahhh :) I love that you were able to remove the nrelate! Hahaha. I want me some polka dots too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually Jeff, dili sya nRelate. nangita nalang kog lain. bati gani ang icons kay low res. islan ra ni nako. temporarily ok ra man nuon sya. Yes, polka dots! Always attractive and fun to look at!

      Delete
    2. Ha? Dili nRelate? I want what you are using. Unsa mana?

      Delete
    3. Pareho ni sya sa Linkwithin. sulayi na ug search, ako ra nya islan pod ni ug parehos kay bati ug thumbnails ni.

      Delete

Leave a comment: