Nightscapes: Dragon Boats at Bedok Reservoir

On the eastern side of Singapore is Bedok Reservoir, popular to locals as a place to hold picnics, group activities, walking and jogging and some water sports. What comes to my mind every time I hear about Bedok Reservoir are dragon boats that I once saw in a beautiful sunset photo on Flickr. I've wanted to go since last year but it never really happened until recently when I remembered that I haven't used my tripod for a while.

I intended to be at the park before sunset (6:45 pm) but as some you know, I am habitually late so I didn't make it by that time. But actually, there was also thick haze, even if I was early, I still wouldn't have gotten a sunset shot. Thankfully, there was this great big light across the body of water from where I was standing so that made all these shots possible, and the subjects visible.

It was a very peaceful evening. I saw some people doing their routine evening jog, a family having a fun picnic just about fifty meters away from me. The dragon boats on the water floated silently as the big bright light illuminated the calm water making it look almost glassy.

I experimented with different white balance color temperature. In this shot, I set WB to yellowish red tones.

One of the best things about long exposure shots is the creative blur.

Used a Nikkor 35mm f1.8 lens for the above photo. It is definitely sharper and produces more detailed light flares. The only downside to it was I had to keep moving far away from the water whenever I switch to this lens. White balance set to yellowish tones.

4-shot panorama using Sigma 18-200 mm

No comments

Leave a comment: