Lecian Carnival in Dumaguete

I can't remember when the last time was since I visited a carnival. I know I have been to one before but I never had appreciated it then as I did now. My companions and I went to take pictures there one afternoon, though we knew they open later and the fun things happen in the evenings 'til late night.

Walking around, we saw different families doing their own thing, setting up their own stalls, checking the rides before they open. I also saw they had little homes set up near the back, so I figured they temporarily lived there. Most of them who were doing the work are the men and boys. It seems that the people who run the carnival live very basic lives.

What I love most are the colors and the artwork I see painted on the rides, the railings, the wooden horses, the ride names — basically anything that has been painted on that appears colorful. I just can't help but admire how the painted signs have been done. They are not perfect and flawless but still, the typography and styles have been done by hand without any machines or special equipment to do it. I have a new-found respect for their artistic vision.

I didn't go on any rides because for one, I'm ashamed to be the oldest one riding with a couple of kids, and second, I am afraid of heights. So I was perfectly happy to stay on the ground.

I used a roll of film for it and shot a couple using digital. For this, I used the Konica C35 AF2. It's just point and shoot film, and my favorite thing about this camera is that I get light leaks due to the slightly loose back cover. And there are times the auto focus disappoints.

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Lecian Carnival, Dgte

Here are some of my digital ones, which I also like to look old. What can I say, I love film photography.

6 comments

  1. Out of curiosity, do you have any tips on how to make your photos look like film? I love the digital ones! And I absolutely love the colors of everything, Carnivals are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Tori, true that. I love the character that carnivals exude, very colorful and unique! About the treatment of the photos, when you're editing, try toning down the highlights (bright areas) and reducing contrast where dark areas are a bit less dark. Some film photos also appear to have brighter reds compared to other colors so you can also change that under curves.

      Delete
  2. Hello
    Where is here?
    Nature is beautiful.
    Digital photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. smaller photos are in film, larger ones are digital. the carnival is in Dumaguete, Philippines. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. I love the film grain! I can't get my photos to look like this no matter what effect or preset I try :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it takes a lot of patience and observation from the usual film photos. Don't worry you'll get it in a matter of time if you pay attention to the real film photographs, you won't need presets even :)

      Delete

Leave a comment: