Painting on a kraft bookmark using gouache

Bookmarks are simple things we take for granted, but you never really feel how much you need it when you need to mark your progress in a book (a real one with covers and pages and wonderful book smell).

I've also been curious about gouache, mainly because I found some amazing illustrators on Instagram who use gouache as their medium. Gouache is water based paint, much like watercolor, but more opaque. If acrylic and watercolor had a baby, it would be gouache.

So I decided to try its opacity on kraft paper. I would normally have several layers of paint if I had used watercolors but this only got me using a few strokes. Great! I'm loving it already!

The white pen I used to write the quote is by Sakura. It's a great pen. As you will see in the video, it went smoothly in opaque white while I wrote on blue gouache finish.

I did a video while painting this, to add content to my youtube channel. That video is found at the bottom of this post.

Materials for this project are as follows:

- Kraft card (Muse paper Japan, 230g)
- Marie's Gouache Colour
- Silver Black Velvet #8 brush
- Generic #9 brush from Daiso
- Sakura Gelly Roll 08 (White)









I made a second bookmark, on white watercolor paper. I messe it up when I started writing the quote using calligraphy pen, so I cut off about 1cm from the top and rewrote the quote with pigment ink drawing pen.






No comments

Leave a comment: