Inspired by "Weight of Objects"

Today, I decided to follow new photography blogs on Tumblr. I came across this wonderful blog which truly inspired me so much, you have no idea. This is how I want my photography to be. Simple and meaningful, and not the usual kind you see everywhere.

The blog is called "The Weight of Objects". It features a diptych for each entry, one photo of an object and the other is a portrait of the person which the object belongs to. For each entry is a short description of the story behind the object.

I think i would like to do something like this very soon. Take pictures of the people around me and one object they own which has a story behind it. Really. Because I've always thought I wanted something different. Photography is awesome and I love it but i don't love how too common it has become today and how commercial it has been. Nobody seems special anymore even when they have a camera because gone are the days when those people who want a camera are those who love and adore the artistic side of it. Today, you can get a camera because you want better-looking pictures on Facebook.

Me, i want to belong to the artistic side of photography and i want to know and love analogue photography even more than i love it now. I don't know if anyone understands what i'm talking about but it's actually clearer in my mind than how i write it here.

I don't actually dream of being a professional photographer. I want to be a professional graphic designer. This is the only field of art that i can see myself doing for a living. I have always looked at anyone who knows art and design as unique, fashion designer, interior designer, architect, sculptor, and others. It's a gift to see things not many people can see or understand. And that has always been my dream for myself.

If analogue photography isn't so darn expensive, i would really consider converting. And even though photography has become mainstream, film photography remains rare, plus it just gives me a different wonderful feeling looking at it.

I know i like taking pictures of objects, for the simple reason that they're easy to photograph – because they're inanimate. And i think i'm going to put that into good use by doing this project. I hope the people who came up with this blog don't mind me borrowing the idea, though I might change it a little and add a thing or two, or it might turn into something more.

But i have to thank them, for reminding me who i am as a photographer and how happy i am to know that i have a much deeper aspiration for this than others that i know in my local group of hobbyists.

I have nothing bad to say about them because if that it what they love, it is their choice. Whatever makes you happy, you should do it, even if it's common, unpopular or weird. And what will make me happy is knowing i am different – but in a good way, of course.

3 comments

  1. oh, my god. thank you, kat. i loved the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Weight of Objects! Its such a great blog..
    You might also like: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasontravis/sets/72157603258446753/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the link! i love the diptychs, too!

      Delete

Leave a comment: